Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Pink (Monkey #1)

My brother says I should not make just one of something, that I should make lots and lots of versions to get good.... at something! Here is my first attempt at an amigurumi monkey. Here is clearly a case where multiple efforts will pay off. I need more monkey practice! Actually, in the photo I like him more than in real life - except in real life, I like his colour better - dark pink.
It's fun to do, except I think I'll have to try a bit thicker yarn because I have to crochet so tightly so the stuffing doesn't come through, and he's only 8cm (3") tall - that's tiny.
It's been very hot outside - for Vancouver - 34 degrees so crochet was a nice thing to do in a lawn chair, it kept me from falling asleep. I didn't want to knit the white and black cotton sweater in the sun.

Oh glorious summer, how I love thee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quote: "My brother says I should not make just one of something, that I should make lots and lots of versions to get good.... at something"
end quote

What your brother was referring to wasn't to making an object. You are already incredibly talented. Your brother was referring to moving from making a craft to art. You said you wanted to do more art. He suggested you take a theme, an emotion, a message, or an object (like this monkey) and then make explore variations.

Well, he said more but that is the gist of it.

bye
Way out Brother

Cynthia F said...

aww! i love your monkey!! he's so cute!!

Way Out Wear said...

Thank you "Way Out Brother" - it must be frustrating to be misquoted so often. Thank you for the fine comments. Advice noted.

And Big Girl Feet - thanks for the fab comment. Much appreciated.