Saturday, May 19, 2007

HOW do you knit?

I know HOW to knit. But what I'm curious is, what things do you do for the knitting process (or crochet - for me they are interchangeable-no snobbery here).

For example, many of my patterns are from the internet - so I am working from a couple sheets of paper. Sometimes I make copies of the pattern for the books I have, so I am working from paper and don't have to wrestle with a book that keeps wanting to close.

I also can't seem to knit without a Post-it Note. That's how I keep track of my place in the pattern and often count rows by writing on it.

If I am using small needles, I use a finger protector, which seems to help. Should I be trying to toughen my finger tip? What do you do?

I have a little pouch which I've tied a counter to the zipper pull to make for easy access and easy clicking. Inside I keep a small crochet hook(for dropped stitches), some felt which holds some needles, some pink thread (semi-neutral), a pen, small scissors and a yarn hook.

Sometimes when I am working on a project, I use a tray. Then I can carry all the little project parts from the lawn chair to the bed or anywhere I'm working. The tray is a hard surface so I can write my row or stitch count as well.

Do you only knit in the same spot? Where do you prefer to do it (couch, chair, bed)?

So what "things" do you use, besides your needles and yarn when you knit (or crochet)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to knit, but it takes me forever to get anywhere. I don't think I learned a proper technique, so can never control the tension. So I will opt for crochet wherever possible. I make a photo-copy of the pattern and write and make notes all over that as I go, ticking off the rows, counting repeats, modifications I've made, etc. I would love to work on projects all day, but feel super guilty about doing that, so only do it after supper, sitting on the couch watching TV. I have a special little lamp there that shines just on my work (so as not to disturn other TV watchers), and a little table, so all my "stuff" stays in that spot waiting for me. All my past projects have been in fits and spurts so my sore fingers get a break for months at a time (only just getting back into it again lately). My brother used to toughen up his finger tips (for playing guitar) by touching them lightly (and quickly) to the hot stovetop or iron. I wonder if that would work for knitters?

Way Out Wear said...

Thank you for sharing. I find it so interesting and will continue to ask the question - wouldn't that make a good book topic?
I really don't think I want to toughen up my girlie fingers by keeping them in a constant state of 1st degree burns! Yikes.