Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thrifty Treasures

Yesterday was a fun day of thrifting with Carol, Cynthia and Cynthia's mom. We all picked up a little something from each of the store, but mainly we had fun making fun of some of the things we found. First place - the record collection. Not only were many album covers posters for the awkward family photo website but there were also some very creepy puppets (check out Carol's blog, she's posted a photo of that horrid creature) and some interesting songs devoted to the Lord. The second "department" we had fun in was the craft section. You know I always thought the 70's was full of love and peace, but I think there were just too many people trippin' because some of the crafts are down right scary, and some are plain weird. Take this embroidery pattern book I picked up for example:
- why would I want to embroider "my belly button" (top right) on anything?
- or why would anyone want to walk around with "bumper sticker" (bottom) embroidered on their shirt?
- any I have no idea what that crazy creature is with the word "help". Where would that be used?

I did however, find some cool items in the housewares department, like this cocktail glass from the King of Tiny Bubbles, Mr. Don Ho himself:
complete with portrait:
And this ashtray was fun for Jp and I as we had fun cracking jokes the first time we drove through Vernon together and saw the restaurant "Waddy's" complete with a 20' tall 'Waddy' out front. - and Jp's driven by it about 4 times in the past year and each time he hasn't been able to get a photo of the restaurant. Now we have this ashtray to remember it by!

And finally, I found this sweet little lamb flower vase (the one on the right) to go with the one we already had.

4 comments:

Cynthia F said...

It was awesome fun as always! Hey Denise look! Scary doll!!
And hey! I didn't see your Don Ho find- score!!

Way Out Wear said...

No more scary dolls for a while.Please!
Don Ho was from the last store.

And yes, it was a hoot!

Retromodgirl said...

I have that same Don Ho glass!!! I got it at the Route 9W Flea Market in Ravena, NY. Small world!

Way Out Wear said...

Retromodgirl - That IS the coolest - the same glass - one in NY and one in Vancouver Canada? I love it!