Monday, January 03, 2011

What's your Word?



Several years ago I was at my brother's house and I saw a post-it note stuck to his computer which had the word "Focus" written on it. I took that word home with me and set about creating some letters for him, each letter was about 1" thick and about 4" tall and was covered in a crackled, antiqued surface. I sent him the letters and he placed them on his desk where he could see them daily. Many times over the years he's commented on how meaningful those letters, and the word,  are to him - one because I made it for him and two because the word, focus,  is important to him. In the book Eat, Pray, Love when Liz is in Italy during a group dinner, the guests play a game thinking about their word, the word that best described them/best suited to them. Which brings me to the pendant you see at the top of this post -  Jp gave it to  me this  Christmas and "begin' is a very good word to ponder. Begin. Begin your day, begin the year, begin a task, begin to complete the task, begin. What does the word mean to you? Do you have a 'word'?


~~~~~~~

Begin - to begin is half the work, let half still remain;
again begin this, and thou wilt have finished. 

 The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.
Walt Disney 

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
Henry David Thoreau 

So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go.
 They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.
Ben Stein 

5 comments:

linda said...

Very cool! My word for 2011 is focus and I think it's just so helpful to have that one word to direct our way... As you noted the one word can lead to so may meaningful thoughts... happy new year and best of luck to you in 2011 - begin happily!

Cynthia F said...

Oooh what a cool pendant and word! I have been going with "recognition" for this year so far, though i usually add to my list as I go. "Money" is also good for me- lol- part of recognition!

Way Out Wear said...

Begin happily... I like it.

And Recognition is very interesting too. I like that one a lot!

Gretchen P. Coltrain said...

Begin to begin again.

Way Out Wear said...

Gretchen - I like that!