Tuesday, May 21, 2013

How I spent my long weekend

This past weekend was a long weekend for us Canadians  - it's called Victoria Day. Jp and I don't tend to go away on long weekends because of the crazy traffic  and other problems (last night's news said 1700 car accidents usually happen each year on this weekend in this province). Instead we feel it's better to stay home and let everyone else leave the neighbourhood. We didn't have great weather on Saturday or Sunday so I basically stayed in. Saturday was pretty much my normal routine of housework and laundry. Sunday was filled with the making of Marie and some phone calls. But yesterday turned out to be not so bad - weather-wise.

First up was our dog walk - this time we went in another direction to the Sports Park. I don't tend to like this area because there are more bear sightings there than in my neighbourhood but I took along the bear spray and the bear bells and hoped we wouldn't encounter anything and we didn't. We did discover a new neighbourhood being built with 22 'executive' homes being built. They've put a Japanese theme to the street and even named properties with Japanese characters and words like "wealth" and "happiness" and "eternity". Each lot had a little Japanese style garden out front which I'm sure would be torn down the moment they start building the house. The one house that was there looked to be about 3,000 square feet on the ground floor with a 3 car garage and a very long and sweeping driveway. With the cost of living in the Vancouver area and all sorts of flat markets, I wonder who would be buying these home - I'm always curious what paths people take to their wealth.

After the walk I spent the rest of the day in the garden, mainly weeding although I did cut the lawn. I must say all my efforts to reseed the grass following the acquisition of one Labrador  is starting to pay off. I've just got a couple of spots left to work on and then we'll have a full lawn again. And since she's taken to jumping to catch a frisbee she's much gentler on the lawn too. By evening it started to rain and now here we are  - back to work and back to the rain. Garden pictures will have to follow in a day or two.

3 comments:

Andree Tracey said...

I enjoyed your account of your long weekend. Potential bear encounters, odd housing developments, gardening and lawn maintenance - a very full weekend! I need to tend to my lawn, too. This year the backyard seems to have given up under Suzi's relentless terrior activities - huge bare spots everywhere! If it would just stop raining, I'd so something about it!

Way Out Wear said...

Oh I know about the huge bare spots, I've been replanting grass in little circles for two years thanks to one young labrador! Now that she's old she plays differently, so my lawn actually has a chance!

Hope it dries up and warms up soon for you!

Way Out Wear said...

Oh I know about the huge bare spots, I've been replanting grass in little circles for two years thanks to one young labrador! Now that she's old she plays differently, so my lawn actually has a chance!

Hope it dries up and warms up soon for you!