Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Amaryllis Day 10: Yesterday I found a tea light candle with the gel 'wax' in a plastic cup. I have no idea where it came from. I lit it and things were fine. But JP has been bugging me about leaving candles unattended so I made sure to stay in the room and keep a watchful eye. Good thing too because as it got near the end it smelled different - I thought it was just the wick. Then all of a sudden, the flame jumped from the wick and lit the plastic holder on fire! Holy Hannah! Now I've got a 1" plastic disk on fire and melting! So I quickly blew it out, and threw it in the garbage (ensuring the fire was out of course). But when I picked up where it had stood, I realized that the bottom had become really hot and damaged the wood of my antique dressing table! Aluminum tea lights never do that! Lesson learned: never leave a candle unattended.

No comments: