I can't believe that I finally finished these socks! When I updated all the information in Ravelry (online knitting community) I realized I started them in September! I think that is the longest I've ever taken to complete a pair of socks, besides the time I knit knee high stockinette socks in Grade 4.... and Grade 5, and maybe even Grade 6.
These socks took a long time because I stopped for several Christmas knitting projects, plus I tried to get more embroidery done (photos here). The other reason they took so long is because I didn't like the yarn - it's a bamboo sock yarn with no lengthwise stretch so constant adjustments had to be done to maintain gauge, and the yarn split so I'd only pick up a couple of the plies and have a ply or two missed requiring me to tink (that's knit backwards) back to the bad stitch.
After finishing the first sock I realized it was slightly too short in the foot and I intended to unravel it and redo it but by the time I was near completion on the second sock I decided I was done with this yarn and that I'd just finish the pair and move on to some that scrumptious new yarn I just bought. Life's too short to knit with yarn you don't like - don't you think?
Reluctantly, here are the completed socks. I think they look okay, only I know their dirty little secret!
"Sock Innovation" by Cookie A, and the pattern is called Wanida. There is nothing wrong with her pattern, I love every sock I've ever knit by Cookie A. In this case, I am going to blame the yarn for my unhappiness with this project. I just didn't like the lack of life in the yarn. If you've every heated acrylic yarn and observed how the stretch "dies" after heating/ironing then you'll know what I mean. And if you haven't tried bamboo yarn before, don't let this discourage you, not all bamboo yarn is like this, it's only this one particular brand that does this. I have one more skein to use, and I think I'm going to knit is straight stockinette, I'm pretty sure it will work just fine for a good old-fashioned basic sock pattern.