Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Nature bah!

Ok, add mosquitoes and crows to my "I'm not a fan of nature list" this week. Bears and squirrels have been on it for a while.

Thanks the the flooding of the Fraser River, which happens almost every June, we're getting more mosquitoes. Time for another PSA  - people, please make sure to dump any standing water, it might help a bit. Stop moving for a second and you're practically covered! Even the poor dog has a bunch landing on her when she stops running.

Next on the list: crows. Normally I adore crows,  they are so smart and sophisticated in their culture,  but cawing loudly at 4am does not win many friends. Something's up in the neighbourhood, they've been really noisy the last couple days and at least two of them are perched in trees around my yard keeping an eye on things  - maybe they can see the bear sleeping in the tree, or maybe he's sleeping in THEIR tree!?

And thanks to the squirrels and the bear - I have had to stop feeding the birds. This makes me really sad because I truly adores seeing the Goldfinches, Sparrows, Siskins, Chickadees, Juncos and Grosbeaks to name a few. Even the Flicker would stop buy a couple times a day. But after the bear smashed a bunch of them to the ground and the squirrel chewed off the little cups so he could get to the food easier, I've put the feeders away.
Grosbeak


I have no idea what's going on out there but between the animals and insects and the crappy cold and rainy weather, it's not so fun being outside at the moment.

I sure hope JULY will deliver the summer we are so desperately needing! What's nature doing for you?

3 comments:

Sultan said...

Wow, what a beautiful bird!

Way Out Wear said...

Hi Loach - they are beautiful and they sing very nicely too. They remind me a big of lovebirds, especially since they often arrived in pairs. I'm so sad to not be able to see them anymore.

Teena in Toronto said...

We have a different kind of "wildlife" here in Toronto :)