Monday, May 19, 2014

May TwoFour Weekend

This was our May long weekend -traditionally called "Victoria Day Weekend" although lately I kept hearing and seeing "May TwoFour" - even a newscaster labelled it as such. So I went looking and found this definition on the Urban Dictionary site:

Queen Victoria's birth day, May 24th, is a statutory holiday in Canada and the first long weekend since Easter. It is the traditional weekend during which one opens 'the camp' (cottage), and signifies the start of summer (and Blackfly season) in Canada. The reference to 'two-four' rather than 'twenty-fourth' is a Canadian inside joke refering to the obligatory case(s) of 24 bottles of beer, or 'two-fours' required to celebrate the opening of the camp and to steel one's courage against the blackflies and the mice that will have settled into the camp since it was closed in the fall.



Sadly for me this wasn't such a great weekend -I ended up losing almost my whole Saturday to a severe migraine that had bed ridden for several hours. Oh the pain was intense, and I just couldn't get comfortable.

Sunday was a shopping day and yesterday was a full laundry day. It felt more like a two day weekend after losing my Saturday but still I am grateful for the break. I did end up getting some gardening done and I have a fresh and clean linen closet  - I washed and folded all the towels, tea towels, face cloths, dishcloths and sheets too. As they used to say "any day off is a good day off".

Well, now it's back to work for me.

No comments: