Monday, June 08, 2015

Blast from the Past

This morning I was up at 4:52 and out the door at 5:15 for my morning walk with Eco. It was the usual day of trucks with guys in safety vests (most likely) on their way to work; a couple of crows and the odd squirrel making a mad dash across the road. The usual early morning happenings.

But then my attention is called to a lady in a bright blue car. I first see her pull up in front of a house and run towards it, then drive off down a side street. Probably just dropping something off, I reason. But then I see her zoom down another road, and another. And I start to wonder what she is doing. Stalking someone? Looking for a lost pet? And then the answer becomes clear - she is delivering newspapers.



In our digital age, I forgot that some people still get a physical paper delivered. And based on that lady's driving pattern - subscribers are literally far and few between. When I was kid, I delivered for the Vancouver Sun  - which at that time was an afternoon paper. I had a small route of about 40 houses and if I remember correctly they were all on two streets. My brother had about 60 but also on only about 2 streets. Just about every house paid for the newspaper delivery.

I guess that's another thing from the past that soon this current generation will know nothing about - it will be the same as our reaction to our parents telling us about ice men delivery blocks in the city...

No comments: