Friday, December 08, 2006

Mohair Scarf & Ponytail hat

From the book Last Minute Knitted Gifts I made this Airy Scarf in mohair for a Christmas present. I didn't have a full skein but it was as long as the pattern dictated. It does stretch and can be knotted around the neck.
Detail of the knit, every 5 or 10 rows has a 'lace' row:
I think it's beautiful and hope the recipient will like it as much as I do.

Also, from Mag Knits I made a variation of the Nippertails for my brother's friend who has long hair:
It was a bit tough taking a picture of the back of my own head, but you get the idea. The pattern was inspired by my sweater, which must have been inspired from a work sock. Since I have never met my brother's friend, and I didn't want to give him just a plain greay hat, I added the detail. I really wanted to add a mouth/muzzle and turn it into a sock monkey hat... but like I said, I don't know the guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the ponytail hat! I just wish I'd found it earlier (I had a hair tragedy a few months ago and had to get my lifelong calf-length hair cut off....now I'm on a quest to grow it back). Wearing a toque is always a problem with a ponytail because the back rides up exposing the ears. This is GENIUS! (did he like it?)

Way Out Wear said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had to get your hair cut - how short did it have to go? I had hair down to my hips for the first 20 years of my life, since then I've had it long and short and long and short..... Yes the hat was well received and I've since seen girls make variations of it. It's fun to make a pattern your own. You're a great knitter, you should try one too!