Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hottest day of the year

The forecasters say today will be the hottest day of the year. By 8:30 this morning the temperature was in the 30's. The house is staying fairly cool and I can't wait to be outside although you can't do too much out there in that heat. Yesterday I crocheted this dishcloth...

pretty lame but the cotton was nice to work with and didn't add weight or heat. When I was in high school, I had created a twin sized quilt for a sewing class and had entered it into the Pacific National Exhibition. In those days there were still the old fashioned competitions for baking, canning, textiles, etc. I had to submit my entry by the end of July so they could judge it before the fair opened on the 3rd Saturday of August. There I was in the hot July hand quilting the thick flannelet while my friends were spending the day at the beach or at each other's pool parties. Do you know how hard it is for a social 15 year old to say no to fun and sit by herself and sew? And no iPods back then either. Tough I tell you.

I'm still having a struggle with the Favourite Animals Swap - I just can't seem to find anything for grasshoppers or dragonflies. Oh yes! - Thank you EndakoJo for the link - I think I will do that one. Everything else so far needs to be sewn or beaded. Plus I've never heard from my swap partner (sent 3 messages) so I don't even know if I'm doing this all for nothing. I found some fabric for a tote bag which I'll applique a grasshopper and I'll go to the craft store on Friday night to see if I can find anything to make. I've only got 2 weeks left and have nothing. If they hadn't changed partners on me, I would've had a couple of penguins and kitties done already. That I know for sure. And I will never do a swap again.

No comments: