Sunday, March 15, 2009

Clean, sort, discard, rearrange

So I had this brilliant idea the other day that it was time to rearrange my office/work room. I have A LOT of stuff in this little room but I thought it would be good to move the desk so it wasn't blocking the heater in the room. I know, I know. I'm a late bloomer. I decide to do this now - 1 week from the first day of Spring. But also I thought a change of 'scenery' would be a good feeling as well and I needed to clean up and organize.

I knew it was going to be a big job, but it was A REALLY BIG JOB! I worked on it for about 7 hours on Saturday and then about 3 more after dinner. Today I've been working on it for about 7 hours as well. Before things went back into the room, I had to go through them and have been able to purge a couple of bags for the thrift store and a couple of bags for recycling. I also have a 3' stack of magazines to go through. No kidding, I just held up a yard stick to it and that's what it measures! Now some of the magazines will be recycled after a quick flip to make sure I didn't leave any twenty dollar bills (I wish) or other important papers in them, but I'll go through other magazines a little more carefully. I know the Peter Walsh clutter rules but I'm doing it my way (for now anyway).

One of my ideas was to take a smaller bookshelf and move it to our bedroom. In it would go all my knitting, crochet, needlework and other crafting books/magazines. This bookcase filled up pretty fast! I didn't realize I was that hardcore of a collector.

Through this clean up I also reacquainted myself with several skeins of yarn and embroidery/needlework projects. And I did learn some things about myself though - some I'm too embarrassed even to admit to myself. But one I will share is the discovery of 25+ empty journals. I just love stationery! But I guess I should spend more time writing on paper instead of on the computer.

Jp has urged me to take my time and suggested I don't rush putting things back, so there are still several boxes in the living room which I am working through. I admit that I asked him several times for permission to quit but he encouraged me to complete the job. In fact, he even celebrated every time I put another empty box out of the room. It's been hard work, but I know the results will be worth it.

It was a good weekend to do this anyways as it was raining (and at times, snowing) and soon I'll be making hypertufa (with Carol and Cynthia), or in the garden!


Big Girl Feet said...

Whew! That is a huge job and great thing to do! I bet your office looks and feels great!
And yes! I just hope it doesn't snow on hypertufa day!!

Carol Browne said...

I know all about this...I'm slowly cleaning up my office and it's taking forever.

And it's not allowed to snow on hypertufa day. It's just not allowed.