Saturday, January 14, 2012

Making Bread While the Sun Shines

We just got the cutest kitchen appliance - a Zojirushi Home Bakery! It makes little 1 pound loaves of bread - perfect for the two of us, and little cakes, and pretzels and cookies, and pizza dough and even makes jam!
(Isn't it tiny?  And it has a handle so you can take it places!! I)


It's the perfect size for our small kitchen and it makes a 'half' loaf which is perfect for the two of us. I am having a wee bit of a problem getting the loaf to rise to the correct heigh - it might be because it's cold outside(and/or the water's too cold), or maybe our humidity. I did buy fresh bread flour, powdered milk and fresh yeast. I've tweaked the recipe a bit and I'm about to make another loaf. MMmmm, I miss the smell of homemade bread. Bread machines were so popular for a while, but I don't hear anyone talking about still using them. The only person I know who regularly bakes bread is my brother who is a  fantastic home-chef. 

Last night is snowed about 4 inches and that's fine by me since I didn't need to go out today anyway. The dog had a great time fetching her ball - she would run and then pounce where it landed except she'd slide and send the ball flying and then she'd lose the ball. It was quite funny, too bad I didn't have a camera with me this morning. 

I hope you're having a wonderful Saturday afternoon. 


No comments: