Sunday, February 19, 2012

For the Love of Bread

Today is brought to you by the letter B*

I don't consider myself a baker, it's just one of those things I do along with laundry or vacuuming, but it is more interesting as I would certainly never post a photo about the laundry!

On Thursday I pulled out the crockpot and made a batch of chili. I ended up buying most of the ingredients together, the approximate cost of a 6 quart batch of chili is about $15, and so far 8 servings have been consumed and there is probably 1 or 2 servings left.  So the next time you  hear someone on TV (or maybe in real life) say they go to McDonald's for dinner because they can't afford to feed their kids healthy food - this is a good chance to remind them that just isn't so. $15 at McDonalds would buy feed 2-3 people depending on what was purchased. Ok 'rant' over.

To go with the chili I made a loaf of french bread. Thanks to my mom for giving me a baguette pan and thanks to my brother for encouraging me to take the dough out of the breadmaker and forming it into a loaf I've been making french bread baguettes, here are the ends of the loaf:

And this is how my family feels about the bread:

~~~~~

To continue the baking story is Banana Bread. I found that often the loaves didn't' always get eaten as people would forget about them in the fridge. So I decided to bake them in my mini cake/loaf pans which I had purchased for the little breadmachine:

They are a big hit!

Sometimes the best compliment a cook or baker can get is not a necessarily a  'thank you' but how the food is eaten. Or when they ask for more. Wouldn't you agree?

*Can you tell I was a Sesame Street fan when I was a kid? 

2 comments:

Cynthia F said...

Beautiful! Baking bread is the best!
And smart about the banana bread mini loaves! I do them as muffins too.

Teena in Toronto said...

Gord got a crock pot as a wedding gift for his first marriage and still has it. I use it quite often ... it's handy.

I adore banana bread!