Sunday, July 06, 2014

My Personal Conundrum

I used to love conundrums when I was a kid - the one about the goldfish, or the hanged man without a chair beneath him, etc. Do you remember any? Here try to answer this one:
As I went across the bridge, I met a man with a load of wood which was neither straight nor crooked. What kind of wood was it?

I seem to be having a different kind of conundrum these days. I can't seem to get anything done -  I mean I can get the housework and the gardening done and even fit in some baking. But as far as creative projects  - they just don't seem to happen.

I struggle with figuring out why. Is it the weather? Because after work I want to go outside and enjoy the warmth and the sun? Or is there another reason? Am I scared to start? Do I have too many choices or not enough?

Of course then I spend time thinking maybe I'm spending too much time thinking and I should just start. But then I stand there scratching my head- what should I start? The next problem is putting my hands on my materials. Seems I've misplaced the folder with my Zentangle supplies. Seems I have my watercolours but not the paper and on and on.

Oh sure, there is always knitting and crocheting -but what project do I want to do? Nothing is calling me or inspiring me. I think what I might do is just pick some projects and put the supplies together - the pattern/yarn/hook or needle or the pattern/fabric/floss/needle or the paper/pen/paint/brush  - all together in a bag or box so the next time I don't know what to do or the next time a flicker of inspiration appears I can grab a project and just start. After sharpening an ax for a while, one must cut something, mustn't they?



By the way, if you liked the example above, you can read more here. And did you guess the answer to the question above? It was "sawdust"

3 comments:

Kris said...

I'm glad you put up the answer to the conundrum, it would have driven me nuts all night! I too typically have a hard time doing creative projects in the summer. I think it is usually because of the weather and the garden calling me. But this year I don't have a lot of time to spend outside, so I have been doing a few more projects. I am working on making a wolf hat pattern and a little red riding hood pattern. And I've been doing a lot of felting lately. I bought some coloured wool and those new colours seem to keep inspiring me to make something.

Kris said...

Oh, and I didn't know you do watercolours! Would you ever post a picture of them up here so we can see?

Way Out Wear said...

Thanks for the helpful words Kris, good to know it may be summertime that's the issue! LOL. I can't wait to see your new projects and yes I will post my watercolours as soon I find some old ones, or my paper for some new ones. I'll probably just be easier to buy some more paper !
I appreciate your comments - thank you